Saturday, December 25, 2010

the type who write in sleep


The poem kubla kahn was written while Coleridge was in a trace and most likely high on opium.  When read it sound like he is turning the heavenly act of sex, in to a scenic view over a country.
'A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
And from this chasm, with ceaseless turmoil seething,
As if this earth in fast thick pants were breathing,
A mighty fountain momently was forced'
This makes me wonder if Coleridge was a "player" or if he was a lady's man.  Of course he did smoke a lot of opium. He was probably high and had sex.  This might cause the opium dream / vision.  What strikes me as strange is the fact that he had no recollection of ever writing the poem.  How can he write without opening his eyes or if they were open then why didn’t he see them?  And if it’s only a fragment then why does it sound complete?  Was Coleridge an outcast from society? Did he have problems with his family?  Did he write this to a girl that he liked? Did Coleridge talk to anyone other than Wordsworth?  How many other poems were written like this? Was Coleridge talking about the east because in the 13th-century the Yuan dynasty was ruled by Kublai Khan?  Have you ever written something you didn’t know you had written?  My guess is that you haven’t because we normally know when we are awake.  I have never written anything in my sleep or if I just woke up and written something, however my father has and it too was a poem.  My father’s poem was about whales and whaling ships. I will probably add a poll to this post.  Ok so, here is the question: have you ever written something that you did not remember?  This post was written by Stephen Henley, on December 26th 2010. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from the super rainbow trouts.  Sorry Mr. Turner this is not three hundred fifty words, I got close though.

No comments:

Post a Comment